Skip to content Skip to navigation

Book on Assam

x

Error message

  • Deprecated function: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in include_once() (line 20 of /home/assmorg/web/posoowa.assam.org/public_html/includes/file.phar.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /home/assmorg/web/posoowa.assam.org/public_html/includes/common.inc).

Mrinal Talukdar, Bureau Chief, United News of India, Guwahati, and eleven other individuals under the aegis of the Nanda Talukdar Foundation (NTF) are about to wind up a massive two and half-year-old project called "Project Assam". The goal of the project is the publication of a coffee table book called "ASSAM". The book will be published without any government, or institutional support.

For years, these individuals have noticed the lack of even a single coffee table book on Assam. The new book to be published in a few weeks will have everything from land to music, from food to history. The idea is to project our beloved beautiful Assam to the rest of the world.

This book was promoted by NTF with 19 per cent stake and remaining 81 per cent stake was picked up by 11 stakeholders who are journalists, photojournalist, technocrat, government workers and entrepreneur. The idea was to achieve success without going to politicians and institutions with a begging bowl.

The book is almost finished. Only two presses in India were qualified to print. Pragati Printers, Hyderabad was chosen by the stakeholders. It is priced Rs 2345 in India and overseas cost will be around $75-$100.

The authors and stakeholders wish to reach out to friends from North America. I am sure many of my NRA friends would love to keep such a book on their coffee table, which has more focus on photo than the content.

They would like to know the best way to reach Assamese individuals and well-wishers in North America.  They would love to launch it in North America sometime around in 2010. If our readers have any ideas, please contact Mrinal at mrinal.talkudar@gmail.com.

By Jugal Kalita